Thursday, October 08, 2026

A New Art Theft in France

"A bronze book jacket designed by famed Surrealist Salvador Dalí and weighing 330 pounds was swiped from a small private museum in Issoire, France, in an overnight theft this past weekend, Le Monde reports. Encrusted with precious stones, seashells, and cutlery, the cover is believed to have been taken between October 4 and October 5.

The jacket housed the pages of the Livre de l’Apocalypse, also known as the Book of Revelation or the Apocalypse of St. John, and was part of a 1958–61 collaboration between Dalí and thirteen other artists and writers commissioned by French publisher Joseph Forêt. Among the contributors to the volume were Bernard Buffet, Jean Cocteau, Leonor Fini, Léonard Foujita, Jean Giono, and Ossip Zadkine."

Am so very thankful to have seen with my own eyes several original Dalí pieces...not the stolen one, however...and while his surrealist art takes some getting used to, the viewer knows that the techniques and skill are amazing.

Cat Man Salvator Dalí
May 11, 1904 – January 23, 1989

So, how 'bout a few sillies?


Let's Hop!

10 comments:

  1. I wish I knew of 300-poundbook jackets back in the day when I had to write lengthy pieces for college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was some theft and fun funnies too! Thanks for joining Angel Brian's Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite a theft ~ great sillies too ~ Happy Weekend to you ~ Hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Purrsistence of Memory made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that last one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m starting to wonder about how vigilant these museums are in keeping up their security.

    Thanks for the smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There must have been easier objects to steal...

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....