Wednesday, October 07, 2026

Autumn Busy

It's Walkin' and Readin' Wednesday!

Truth!

The weather is autumn in the shade, but still summertime in the hot sun around here.

Niko has no shame.
A twofer!

Nice white jabot, kitty!

๐Ÿพ ๐Ÿ‘ฃ ๐Ÿพ

Audiobook recommendations:

The Hurricane Wars Trilogy by Thea Guanzon
Narrated by Jeanne Syquia and Kaleo Griffith

Book #1: The Hurricane Wars
Book #2: A Monsoon Rising
Book #3: The Shattered Tempest

My two cents: War, magic, technology, found family, and imperial politics, with a helping of enemies-to-lovers-but-still-enemies.  

Action packed, based on Southeast Asian mythology, so it differs from other authors who use Norse or Greek/Roman mythology.

As I type this, I'm 50% through Book #3, and I will do nothing else but listen to this spellbinding story.

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
Narrated by Bernadette Dunne

My two cents: An older audiobook, which was made into a decent film, details the authors determination to pull her life together after her mother's death, and her divorce.

Walking the Pacific Crest Trail for 1,100 miles in 94 days mostly alone isn't my idea of getting my head on straight, but that's the beauty of this story: being in charge of yourself is the best remedy, despite a blisters, lost boots, hinkey hikers, and snowfall when you are in shorts.

Ghost Wall by Sarah Moss
Narrated by Christine Hewitt

My two cents: A novella really, but what a journey in a short listen!  Silvie and her family are living as if they are ancient Britons, surviving by the tools and knowledge of the Iron Age, with an archeologist and his students.  This is harsh living, made worse by Silvie's violent father.  The back-and-forth between modern thinking against the backdrop of scrounging for food and living in nature, artfully written and performed, really made me think, and think, and think some more. 

๐Ÿ“š ๐Ÿ“š ๐Ÿ“š 

15 comments:

  1. I always enjoy seeing the pictures of all the cats you encounter on your walks. Very feline neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cats are always better friends. You made me laugh out loud.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week. Scritches to the kitties. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. wavez two ewe nayborz oh de catz in de eazt side naybor hood ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ˜ธ‼️๐Ÿพ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's that time of year - like early spring - when a sweater is worn in the morning, and carried home in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! I’d much rather be friends with the neighborhood cats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many cute kitties in your hood. I read that book and enjoyed it. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're blessed to have some super human neighbors but animals are the best. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. But of course cats make for better friends than humans! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love our neighborhood kitties, but wish people wouldn’t let them out except when someone is out with them. We have coyotes here and some of the cats are missing and we’re all sad.

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....