13 November, 2019

Owl Be Seeing You...

Last Friday, my brother and I went on an Owl Hoot!

At Lake Saint Clair MetroPark, in Harrison Township, Michigan, we attended a brief lecture about native owl species, then wrapped ourselves in hats, scarves, thick coats and boots to traverse the trails in the dark.

Our MetroPark guides had recorded Screech and Great Horned Owl calls, which were played here and there within the forested area.

Not only did a Great Horned Owl return our calls, but we could see him 'way up in the treetop!

It was nighttime, so there wasn't much to photograph, except the stuffed owls on display:

Screech Owl
Barred Owl
Snowy Owl
See?  My wee camera wasn't a match for the darkness!

AND THEN!

Saturday, I went on a Autumn Color Walk at Tenhave Woods in Royal Oak, Michigan.

Due to lots of rain and cold (the snow didn't hit until Monday...), our seasonal color is mostly gone, but walking around with knowledgeable tree, bird, and fungus experts from The Royal Oak Nature Society was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot.

Interesting leaves
Witch Hazel blooms
Although pretty, these berries are from an invasive non-Michigan plant that will be pulled out in the spring.
I enjoy this park, which is less than two miles from my office.
I visit often on my lunch breaks.

Here's a jigsaw puzzle!



We have another owl event this Saturday, where we will visit living owls at Stage Nature Center in Troy, Michigan.

We are fortunate to have such resources nearby.

19 comments:

  1. We hear owls at our marina at might. Hoot owls and screech owls. It's most wonderful.

    Our colors are in full autumn mode. We don't get snow here and I'm forever happy about that.

    Have a fabulous day. Scritches to the kitties. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard an owl hoot before, I'll bet it's something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IS this silly or what? Im going to buy a used baby monitor and put it outside because I MISS the owls calling at night now that we have snow and all windows are tightly shut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't hear owls here in our concrete jungle. Mom loves their hooting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The owls are fascinating and amazing. We've seen them only in the National Zoo aviary, never in the wild ... only on occasion hearing them. They hide very well ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice photos. Thank you for the puzzle :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun excursions! We've never seen an owl, in the wild or otherwise, let alone heard one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is that wood in the park composed of beech trees? The lack of ground cover makes me think beeches. And that darkness...! I'd almost forgotten what real darkness - outside of a town - is like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love owls. They are awesome. Thank you for showing us highlight from your pretty walk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how wonderfuls!!! Owls are just pawsome! We don't have any here (that we hear), butts I do knows they are near. What a wonderful tour, I hopes you will be able to take the next tour too!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool to go on an owl walk!
    Mum would think that is cool :)
    We might be afraid of birds as big as us!
    Purrs,Georgia and Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Owls are cool. We know they are around here, but we've never seen one in purrson.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice photos, those owls are beautiful. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the pictures...you go see all the things I like too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a fun outing. And some beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice! Owls are so cool. I just read more unknown facts in my "Birds and Blooms" latest e-magazine edition. :)

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....