05 July, 2017

Independence From Old Litter Day!

Yep, you read that correctly!

On July 4, 2017, Eastside Cats dumped out all old litter, and scrubbed down the litter pans.  After they dried off in the blazing, hot sunshine, the pans were repositioned in their locations and filled with brand new litter.  In addition, fresh puppy pee pads were attached to the walls surrounding said pans, and litter mats were shaken out and replaced.

Four litter pans, which seemed appropriate for July 4.  Liberation!

The oval pan in front holds a full 50 lbs. of litter!

Parlor Pan

Upstairs Pan

The SmartCat Ultimate Litter Mat!
Two indoor cats, and four pans you say?  Years and years ago, we had an issue with Chuck guarding the litter box (we had two, but they were side by side).  Poor Angel couldn't go, and she had exactly ONE accident.  We learned to put pans in different areas.  That problem was solved.

Then, Chucky developed constipation, and he avoided the pans for going #2.  We didn't know what his issue was, so I set out seven different pans, and filled them with different litters.  Once we discovered that medicine and food changes were the solution, I winnowed it down to three pans.  But Chucky started to urinate up the walls, so I found a big, oval pan to round out the situation.  He still aims 'high' once in awhile, therefore the puppy pee pads.

I discovered The SmartCat Ultimate Litter Mat years ago, and bought two.  Disclaimer: I was not reimbursed or given anything for free for my opinion!  The litter falls through the mesh, and you simply shake the thing out.  Nothing in the world keeps all of the litter off of one's floors, but this litter mat works well enough.  One side is tan, which matches well with the hardwood; the grey side is used between the two pans in the front room.  They are big too; 24" x 36".  I recommend them!


20 comments:

  1. We've learned that with litter boxes, the cats win. We had to add a fourth box when we brought Lucy in. You beat us in cleaning--we scrubbed and refilled only three boxes this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That mat sounds great! Thanks for the reminder that Mudpie's boxes need a bit of a scrubbing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we got those mats at BlogPaws! I'm only 1 cat and live in a small 1100 foot condo but we have 2 boxes. I love using them both equally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two litter boxes for Madi too. When we are away I add a 3rd one.
    The The SmartCat Ultimate Litter Mat is new to me. Must look for it
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I think cats are happy to have more than one litter box, it makes life easier for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our first cat had issues with his aim as he aged. I had a shower curtain taped to the wall it went under his boxes too.
    Hugs madi's mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and I just saw your cool books list. I have read "All My Patients are Under the Bed" by Dr. Louis J. Camuti, and I highly recommend it. So glad you have it on your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mom scrubs our boxes out every week, but (and don't tell anyone this) she reuses the litter. We think it's time for a change out, don't you??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every time I put out a litter mat someone pees on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. With 9 of us we've got lots of litter boxes and litter genies. Ours get cleaned every week and we go though about 120 pounds of litter each week. That a lot of scooping!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just have one gigantic box, defying all recommendations to the contrary. The reason is, if we have multiple boxes, we will use only one, and invariably it will be the tiniest of the lot! Then someone will get stuck, or tip it over or some such thing, and everybody winds up unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This reminds me to do this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, 50 lbs. The oval box is really huge! Puppy pee pads are great idea. Happy Independence Day to your litter pans :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Äiti here: A brilliant post! Thank you for this - litter issues are so troubling, and it drives me mad. And most kitties here will go in the same box, which is scooped very very often as you can imagine.

    Re your comment on the blog - I also wish they would get on! Mesi seems to think it fun to start up these tussles, but poor Veikko seems to be the victim and he cannot protect himself as he has no furs. Mesi is a little tortie minxlet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great information on the boxes and the mat! I used a giant size litter box when Z was alive... she loved her litter box after a rocky start. She started out wanting to pee on anything soft, mostly beds and the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post.

    Mum changes my litter twice a week and washes the tray at the same time.

    Purrs xx
    Athena

    ReplyDelete
  17. We felines can definitely make the litterbox situation tricky. That's why mom doesn't dare change our litter brand or box style.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing the idea ! Mom will check out puppy pee pads for me. I got 2 boxes plus outdoor . But when I sick, mom will lock me in so she can check my products 😹

    ReplyDelete
  19. The more litter pans the better if it keeps kitties from having to fight for a box. We have four inside and three on the catio, with a variety of different litters. Mom would like all of us to use something other than clay, but a few of us are really stubborn. Everything looks nice and fresh at your house. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, angel Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth, Calista Jo and Cooper Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  20. MOL! I do the puppy pads on the walls, too. Dexter likes to aim high every now and then as well.

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....