16 February, 2018

The PO'M Is Injured

Patty O'Malley is injured; his ear is torn, and he's missing a rather large patch of fur on his neck.  I managed to check him out closely this morning.  He didn't want me to look, so I stuck my phone next to him while he ate breakfast, and snapped photos so I could get a visual.

The ear is not a problem; that one is already shredded, and the other is ear-tipped.  The semi-bald, fur-less area is what's worrying me: it's scary looking!  I don't see any blood or sores; just pinkish white skin, and tufts of wet-looking fur.  He's probably licking the area as best he can, or it's weeping a little bit.

As much as my heart tells me to grab him and run to the nearest vet's office,  The PO'M will NOT allow that much handling.  I must trap him...which takes a few days.  Instead of panicking, I and The Hubby agreed to look him over carefully, and if he's not healing, then the trap comes out and a vet appointment made.  I'll monitor him all weekend, and will try to smear on some herbal ointment that I purchased at the holistic pet store.  The ointment won't hurt him if he licks it, but it will aid healing. 

Below is a photo of the damage, but I'm making it very small, so you can avoid looking at it.

Poor baby!
I noticed a raccoon in the tree recently, but I've neglected to keep a sharp eye out for them.  This could be a raccoon's handiwork, or perhaps another cat. 

My poor PO'M!  😿


28 comments:

  1. Could be a wound that abscessed too. Poor boy. Check your local pet store for Vetrycin spray that stuff works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree look for Vetrycin Spray. It does work great. In fact I use it. My immume system needs some help so this spray does help wounds heal. PO'M acts pretty good otherwise. When one of the girls has an abcess they don't want to eat.

    Take care my friends. You are doing a great job.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor guy. Ditto on the Vetrycin. It works great. Hopefully it will look better in a day or so and a vet appt won't be needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Patty O, that had to hurt. Keep us posted please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor baby! He's very lucky to have you looking out for him. We'll be purring for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor guy. I will add him to my prayer list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Purrayers & POTP for PO'M (and you !)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your poor angel! Any chance you can sneak in some antibiotics?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that Patty O' Malley deserves a spot of cream for the event he just went through. Hopefully there are no puncture ouchy puncture wounds! My Auntie is Game Warden and she says Racoons can be aggressive. But maybe there is a strange kitty that was invading the yard. Hugs for him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no poor Patty! I hope his wound will heal quickly. He is very lucky to have you to take care of him. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor boy! We're glad he's got you to care for him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor guy! I'm glad some of the commenters have suggestions for you - all I've got are healing purrs, and I'm sending them to Patty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor Patty O'Malley ! As said above, it could be an abscess indeed. We're glad to know that you keep an eye on him. We hope the wound heals by itself quickly. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor Patty O'Malley! We hope he heals up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Patty! Poor kitty! Hope he heals up quickly. XOX

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh patty, i'd hate to see da offur guy

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh how I wish he would let you take him AND bring him in permanently. That just breaks my heart. Praying he will be ok. Rabies is always a concern.catchatwithcarenandcody

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sad for POM. I hope you're able to treat him at home and not go through the stress of having to trap him to get him to the vet. Healing Purrs for him.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, I hope it heals up and doesn't turn out to be something real bad. Keep a close watch on that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The poor boy. I agree that it looks like a possible abcess. I hope you can figure out what's wrong. It must be frustrating for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The poor little gaffer. I'm glad he has you looking out for him.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh no PO'M...I'm so very sorry. I hope and purr you are healing. Thank goodness you are eating.
    Is his rabies shot up to date?
    Hugs Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh gosh, I hope he heals up okay! Poor fella.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aaaaaaaaaw Poor Patty. We're sendin' hugs and purrayers.

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
  25. If he's licking himself too much you should go to vet I think. Maybe it's nothing serious, just an allergy etc. But it's better to check it out.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him and I wish you a lot of health and purrs <3

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....