Friday, September 11, 2026

25 Years

 Hard to believe this is the 25th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.

As they say, folks remember where they were when trauma happens, and I just happened to be in the One-of-the-Big-Three Auto Companies' television station that day.

As the editor-in-chief of our office newsletter, we had gatherings/classes to empart best practices, how to edit, etc., and even though I'd worked until 11 pm the night before, I was up bright and early at the station with other folks as visitors, and we were surrounded by huge TV screens.

After the news broke that a plane had flown into a building in New York City, our lectures ceased, and we all just watched the streaming news.

There was a lot of speculation from the newscasters, such as Chicago was also under attack, and some other not-accurate things.

By lunch-time, my office was closed and every one sent home, and my boss called me to tell me to pack it in and do the same.

Driving home was surreal; the roads were empty, as everyone was glued to the news.

Later we learned about Shanksville, Pennsylvania, only after the Pentagon on fire reached the airwaves.

There was a lot of emotion...and still is...about this date.

I refer to my September 11, 2019 post:

"The Day The World Came To Town"


The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland
Jim DeFede, Author
HarperCollins/Regan, publisher
ISBN 978-0-06-051360-3

When the US airspace was shut down, the tiny town of Gander, Newfoundland (pop. near 10,000) welcomed thirty-eight jetliners, their passengers and crews, which totalled over 6,500.  The residents opened their homes, their pantries, and their hearts.  Schools were used for staging areas and for respite for the travelers.  The animals in the holds were cared for by veterinarians and staff. 

For an entire week.

9/11/01 was a horrific date for not only Americans but for the entire world, and the Gander population showed their true colors by being kind, giving solace, and befriending all.

I cannot recommend this book enough.  It's written in an easy, readable style, and as one relives that date in our memories, this story about Gander will ease your heart.  Gander wasn't the only location that aided stranded travelers during this unfortunate time, yet this book makes one glad to know that Canada has always been a friend to America.  Always.  And in a heartbeat.

***

We will never forget

 ***

10 comments:

  1. There's no way that we will ever forget that horrible day. Or how empty the skies were for weeks after with no airplanes flying over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! What a wonderful remembrance tribute to 9/11 ~ Hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our country was so unified on that day and the days that followed. So much kindness. We need that back.

    I will never forget that day. I was still working. The day was a fog for me.

    Have a blessed day and weekend. Scritches to the kitties. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. legacy.com has one of the most heartfelt memorials out there 💔💔💔

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was an horrific day fr me. Still is. I could go on for pages. Of course, I won't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was an awful day that no one will forget. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. It grieved me then and it grieves me now to see the state of our world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to read this book. Your post brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes. Be well, my dear.

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....