09 December, 2016

Update: Egads...A Food Shortage!

Missing!
We cannot find cans of Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet Venison and Green Pea Formula anywhere!  I normally order from Chewy.com; it's on backorder.  I went to Premier Pet Supply in Beverly Hills, Michigan, and managed to snag their last case of 5.5 oz.  But they had no more (I choose NOT to buy all of the cans on the shelves, but maybe...)  I next drove to two box pet stores in the area, willing to pay their higher prices.  Zip at either.  They have all of the other flavors, but not the one that we feed Chuck and Angel.  Researched a couple of other online pet food websites: they are OUT!

For years, Ingrid King at Conscious Cat has been telling everyone to have more than one kind of cat food, just in case a shortage happens.  I've heard these words, but because we had worked so hard to find a food that Chuck didn't get constipated with, I ignored the advice.  Uh-oh!  We may have to work a new food into their diet NOW.  I've emailed the company, hoping for an estimated date of new batches of this food; we'll see if they answer.

And, we take Chuck to the veterinarian this evening, for an echocardiogram and check up.  We also need refills of all of his five meds.  Chuck's appetite has diminished recently, and we need that trend to turn around lickety split.  Maybe introducing a new food will get Chucky noming like a fiend again!  Maybe we'll make lemonade out of lifes lemons.

P.S. Sweetie and Patty O'Malley came running out of their shelter last night to greet me, in the blowing, freezing wind.  This morning, the sun is out and the air is calm, and they both appear to be in good shape.  Thank you all for your kind words about my annual 'my babies are outside in the cold!' freak out.

UPDATE: Per excellent comment suggestion by It's All About The Cats, I've just called Natural Balance.  Apparently, the venison is sourced from New Zealand, and the demand has outstripped the supply.  There is no clear estimate on when they will have this food available again.  Thank goodness we found that last case of 24 cans, because we will need to start mixing the old with the new VERY SLOWLY.  Sheppard's Alternative Animal Care gave me a list of their preferred holistic cat foods, and I'll find a couple that we will start working with.  Now, where did I put that list?

28 comments:

  1. Jeff Bezos to the rescue! You can get it on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Balance-Limited-Ingredient-Venison/dp/B0018CFN1K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and we hope Chuck's checkup goes well. And Chuck, eat better, bro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling him that I want big, fat cats...just look at Patty O'Malley!

      Delete
  3. YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMY VENISON AND GREEN PEAS
    SENDING GOOD WISHES FOR VET APPT
    HUGS MADI YOUR BFFF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully the local stores will be restocked soon. Since Raven is on a restricted diet due to her allergies, I've had the concern that the one brand she eats will have a shortage, stop producing, or be bought out. I have about 6 weeks food on hand and I'll slowly add more to the pantry so I have bigger stockpile with stretched out expiration dates. I dread ever having to find another food that doesn't trigger her allergies, that she will eat, and that she does well on litterbox wise.

    Good luck with Chuck's tests & appetite. We've used FortiFlora probiotic to entice Raven to eat and she loves it. I'm not a fan of "animal digest" and I don't think it's a very good probiotic, but is is a great appetite stimulant for her. We just use a little sprinkle (maybe 1/8 of a packet) on her canned food when she's not eating heartily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stockpile too, but never thought I'd get to this point! And, being a cheapy, it's hard for me to spend $1.68 a can when I get it for about $1.09 from Chewy.com.

      Delete
  5. I totally feel for you. Did you talk to your pet store to see if they might be able to talk to the sales rep in the area and track you down some more?

    ReplyDelete
  6. guys...tell yur mom ta chex
    http://www.petfooddirect.com
    https://www.petflow.com
    https://www.petsolutions.com
    http://www.onlynaturalpet.com

    sorry for all the linx stuff; and dood...best best fishes two ewe two day at de eeeeeevil place ♥♥♥

    stay warm S & P !! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yippee for seeing Sweetie and Patty O'Malley seeming to be doing okay. Thank you for everything you are doing for them. Certainly, their lives have improved greatly from past winters! Yep, we heard all that advice about having multiple foods just in case, and we heeded it. Never thought it would happen to us, but last year the same thing happened.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found it on US Amazon if that helps - I think it's wonderful how much you care about ALL of your cats- looking at weather charts etc! They are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh No!!! We'll say dat me was a one food only girly till me got sick. Dat is till mommy found out mes food was makin' me sick. And it was he_ _ you know what to change me. But alas, mommy was succesful. And now, we get at least 3 different types/brands of food in every meal, just in case. When Raena joined us, she appeared to be da same, one food only. But mommy gave her da raw and freeze dried raw and she took to it like a pro. So all's well at our house, just like will happen at yours. We'll be purrayin' dat's 'zactly what happens and of course fur da VET 'pointment and da appetite. As fur your "freak out", don't worry, mommy would be too. She even went up town last night lookin' fur "Ginger" at da sonic, cuz it's gettin' really cold. She didn't find her. We're worried. Mommy says not knowin' what's happened is just as bad as thinkin' 'bout her out in da cold. So we get it totally. And yes, mommy was a country girl. Doesn't matter when you luv a furry. Big hugs

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you call the manufacturer and ask what is going on? I've done that before with several companies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sent them an email...guess I could try calling too.

      Delete
  11. Ouch. This is not good. We hope you can get enough from somewhere to get your crew through this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We used to eat that food. We haven't in awhile...though we do have a bag of the dry in the cupboard...which we aren't eating. Could you use a bag of the dry?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you are able to resolve this issue. I totally understand about animals and any changes in their diets possibly causing diarrhea or vomiting. I used to work in pet supplies and learned about pet nutrition (cats, dogs and birds), so I really hope things will work out for you and your cats.

    ReplyDelete
  14. https://www.wag.com/cat/p/natural-balance-limited-ingredient-diets-venison-green-pea-formula-24x3oz-117015?sku=NLB-037&qid=3171592372&sr=1-1
    wag.com has it for $21.99/case

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're glad to hear Sweetie and Patty are doing well :)

    Amazon lists Chuckie's food as being in stock. I'd still check out a few alternative foods, though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about the food shortage. I hope they will get supply back soon. And also I hope mixing new food will go well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is very frustrating when the best food is gone. We have been caught with our furs down before too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhh Mom says when she and Dad like a new cafe or something they are the curse of death 'cause it all of a sudden is gone.
    Green peas in food...Ummm
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you're able to find more of that food. At least you now know what's going on.

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....