24 February, 2016

Bacon Ball Ballet

Chuck was prescribed three medicines for his heart condition, and one for his intestinal issues.  I discovered pill paste from a blog comment months ago, and immediately ordered some online.  I have since discovered I can buy it at Petco stores, even if it's pricier.


This is what it looks like: it reminds me of Play-Doh!

We fold the pills into this pliable, soft stuff and roll it into a ball.

Early days, Chuck would just eat the 'bacon ball' (the jar says it's bacon-flavored!) out of my hand. One day, he bit into a buried pill that had a bad taste, and I haven't been able to get him to eat it since. He won't even eat any that is pill-free.  Angel gets a little bit as a treat, once in awhile.

The Hubby picks Chuck up, lays him across his lap, and pries open Chuck's mouth while dropping in the bacon ball.  Chuck hasn't bitten him yet...!  The Hubby gives Chuck mucho lovin' before and after the drop, and they do this every morning and every evening.  It's actually quite a sight.  A pill-dropping, bacon ball-toting ballet!

12 comments:

  1. Hey, whatever works, especially with cats. Leia thinks the Pill Pockets are a fantastic treat; Toby, who needed it to get pills, despised it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cat is impossible for me to pill. Vet's make it look so easy! She isn't into treats, which complicates it even more :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the pill paste and mucho loving are working well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. we have a couple of cats here that if they ever have to be pilled, mom is in BIG trouble

    ReplyDelete
  5. dood...once ya get wise to yur dadz trix; bee ware if yur mom gives ewe a greenies pill pocket; a bread ball; a small piece oh donut; a small hunk oh cheese; a small hunk oh lunch meat; ore if it looks like sheez mashin sum thin in yur canned food N stirrin de be jezuz outta it.....theeze R all "trix" two ~~~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're glad you found something that works. I get my medicine (I have to take a potassium supplement) made into a flavored treat and I eat them right up. ~Ernie

    ReplyDelete
  7. we use greenies (that appears to be the same concept only in a pliable form)......I used something else once in a pinch and now I can't remember what it was! lol. Cody is easy to pill though....thank COD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember what I used now. They are called "Lean Treats" and the Vet sells them and I have also seen them online. They are naturally softer like Greenies. When I didn't have the Greenies Pill pockets in the house I popped the pill into one of those Lean Treats and it worked perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to get some of this, I have 3 cats on thyroid meds and this would help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your Hubby could start a new vocation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried a similar kind of paste with Jewel. She wasn't a fan, unfortunately. We were hoping it would help us give her her pills - she took so many in the months before she went to the Bridge.

    I should really get a new jar and see if Lita likes it. She takes Pred for her asthma and even though her pills come in chicken liver flavor medi-melts, she still runs and hides from me when it's time for a pill. She loves to eat, though, so this may do the trick for her. Thanks for reminding me about it!

    I hope all the medications are helping Chuck? I bet all the love he gets helps him a lot, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like the bacon ball is working well. We used to hide our cat's pill in cheddar cheese.

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....