04 December, 2019

Does The Dog Die?

Friends, I've just discovered this fascinating website: https://www.doesthedogdie.com/.

I've been heartbroken when reading a book, only to discover some unsavory thing happen, that made me angry, sad, or some variation of upset.  Often, it's due to violence toward animals, but it can be other things.

Of course, I know that I'm reading a story, but why read stuff that makes me upset?  This website will save me from this problem in the future!  Type in the title of the book...or movie...and you'll find out what issues may come up!

Image from Does The Dog Die? website
I am a serious reader: I've already got 156 books under my belt this year (per my Goodreads account).  The majority are audiobooks, since I have a longish commute daily, plus I listen when on my evening neighborhood walk.  But dang it all, I get sick to my stomach when an author uses violence or other nasty thing that doesn't really help the story.  So, now I have Does The Dog Die? to help me choose what I want to read!

Disclaimer: I have not received any compensation from Does The Dog Die? website for this post.  I write about things that interest me, and that I believe will interest our readers, and I give my honest opinions.  

20 comments:

  1. Thanks, we can't stand anything where any critter is hurt, killed or made to look bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you brought this website to my attention. Death of or abuse toward animals is one spoiler I'm always willing to look up before going into a new book or movie, and this site will be a great resource for that. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea! I have been surprised (especially by books) in the past, and it wasn't a good surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this. I too won't read or watch anything if I think there will be animal cruelty or even if the family pet dies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have to check that out first! You can almost always tell when an animal shows up in a story that it's only a plot device, and won't make it to the end of the story. Sometimes I just quit reading when I feel I know what's going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there can be amazing stories without things added for shock effect :) Illl send my daughter this site. Her library studies might like it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I HAVE to have this! I am like you `100% when I read and I gt all mad when the unexpected happens...as you outlined. This is great! THANK you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing. I try to avoid anything that will make me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great idea ! Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. Our mom's like you and dreads any book that has a terrible surprise in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's about time! Can they do one called 'does the kid get abused?'. I have a long commute daily too, and audio books are a wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have many, many topics that they warn against, besides the dog or cat...check it out!

      Delete
  12. HAH! We don't read books but wish someone would warn TW about the new articles she reads. Oh wait, they're supposed to make her angry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have used that web site. It is very helpful to keep from getting a broken heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is very helpful! I can not read a book in which animals suffer even if it's a fiction. Great way to avoid a heartbreak.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard of this site but never used it. But it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....