17 July, 2020

Art Nouveau Cats

"Émile Gallé (8 May 1846 – 23 September 1904) was a French artist and designer who worked in glass, and is considered to be one of the major innovators in the French Art Nouveau movement. He was noted for his designs of Art Nouveau glass art and Art Nouveau furniture, and was a founder of the École de Nancy or Nancy School, in the city of Nancy, France." Wikipedia

Émile Gallé 
Image from the interwebs

Not only did Monsieur Galle' create beautiful glass items and furniture, but he also created faience cats!

"Faience, also spelled faïence or fayence, tin-glazed earthenware made in France, Germany, Spain, and Scandinavia. It is distinguished from tin-glazed earthenware made in Italy, which is called majolica (or maiolica), and that made in the Netherlands and England, which is called delft." Britannica.com

While watching an episode of Public Broadcasting's Antique Roadshow, a Gallé cat was appraised.

Image from PBS Antiques Roadshow website
Click here to go to the appraisal.


I was intrigued, so I did some research.

Image taken from SFO Museum's site
They are a bit weird, with their stuck-on glass eyes, but charming nonetheless!

Just in case you run across on at a rummage sale...

Jigsaw Puzzle

A true work of art!
preview120pieceWild PO'M

13 comments:

  1. That's pretty amazing, we like them though! I hope you have a purrfect weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We thoroughly enjoy the Antique Roadshow too.
    I don't think I've seen this episode. I do love that cat and what craftsmanship. Very happy Cheshire grin too
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they are amazing. Wish I could afford one.

    Have a purrfect day and weekend. My best to your mom. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that show, too! What a cool kitty!! And his grin, OMC!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cats are gorgeous! I bet you will never see one of these at a rummage sale. Maybe a look-a-like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to watch the Antiques Roadshow too on Sunday nights. I think the P o'M is far more handsome though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fun post. Love the Roadshow too!!!! I have to show this to a friend who is an antique dealer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are cute. I think PO'M is definitely cuter though. Thank you for the puzzle. XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cats look like the know something we don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting! I'd not heard of this artist before. I hope he didn't get burned out on cats. lol You made excellent points on that sort of thing. Thanks for sharing and stopping by my silly blog. Be well!

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....