Monday, July 27, 2026

The Pipes

July 27 is Bagpipe Appreciation Day!

"No one knows for certain where the history of the Bagpipe began. 

It is thought that the first Pipe came from ancient Egypt, which had just a single drone and a chanter. 

From here it eventually evolved in Europe, with the Greeks and the Romans having the earliest written references."



🎶🎶🎶

16 comments:

  1. I was moved when the Queen's bagpiper played for her the last time at Westminster Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bagpipes are interesting instruments, but I don't have a true appreciation for the sound that it makes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow how amazing!!! And funnily enough, mew can meet Hamish McClaw on the blog today!!! MOL 😹🎉✨🎉😹

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a musician I don't really appreciate that unique sound either, but I do appreciate the skill and dedication it takes to play that instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom doesn't know anything about bagpipes. We love the graphic of the kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great info ~ love the bag pipes ~ Hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. After spending 25 years in law enforcement those bagpipes remind me of funerals.

    Have a fabulous day and week. Scritches to the kitties. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bagpipe was considered Egypt's eleventh curse...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to hear bagpipes a lot more when I was still living in Canada. I sort of miss them. Apparently they are one of the hardest instruments to learn to play well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with MM&TW, with the accordion and perhaps banjo next. :) You are correct about information on the Internet. Can you imagine what it must be like growing up with it? Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pipes are beautiful, we have them a couple of times a year at the church.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute cat with the bagpipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I attended Edinboro State College in northwestern PA and where bagpipes were concerned it was as Scots as it was when it was founded in 1857 as a "Normal School" which was a teacher's college. Yeah, we had fun with that, and with the bagpipe corps practicing every day walking a circuit through campus. A good friend was a piper and would crash parties with her pipes. I learned to dance the Highland Fling and still want to break into it whenever I hear "Scotland the Brave." Glad I could was able to comment today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't let me add my name AND comment, so this is Bernadette, www.thecreativecat.net

      Delete
    2. Hey, Bernadette! Long time no see!

      Delete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....