18 April, 2017

Book Review: The Fur Person

The Fur Person
Author: May Sarton
Published: 1957
Norton & Company, Inc., publisher (hardcover)
106 pages

It's All About The Cats! mentioned that "The Fur Person" is a favorite book, and that it's re-read from time to time.  When I get a recommendation like that, I'm off to the library to check out a copy for myself.

And of course, I fell in love with The Fur Person himself, as he grows from a street-smart and highly-intelligent cat-about-town, to being a loved and pampered gentleman housecat. He chooses his two human ladies, whom he calls, "Gentle Voice" and "Brusque Voice", by the location of their house, and how well the gardens suit his needs. The Fur Person has rules that he lives by, and his personality is delightfully related by the author.

Trust me, you will pick up this book and read it through in one sitting, because the story pulls the reader along in a beguiling way, as The Fur Person overcomes obstacles while searching for his home. Even though written 60 years ago, there is nothing to make a modern cat-lover cringe, which cannot be said very often, as the ideas of pet-keeping have evolved so much since.

Do yourself a favor, and pick up a copy of "The Fur Person".  I know you'll be as delighted as I was!

11 comments:

  1. Oh I am so glad! I love so much about this book, and yes, it holds up well. It is impressive that the cat was neutered in a time when it wasn't that common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Rene! 60 years ago too! It reads as a modern story, which is delightful.

      Delete
  2. Never heard of it but will check it out!! thanks - i like the cover too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sound good to me =^x^=
    Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohhh, sounds like my kind of book! I'm off to check if our library has it.
    Thanks for posting!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds so good. I'm off to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how I had never heard about this book before. Seems like a great read. Thanks for Sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that sounds super good, thanks for telling us!

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....