06 April, 2023

Tartan Day

 Tartan Day is a North American celebration of Scottish heritage on 6 April, the date on which the Declaration of Arbroath was signed in 1320.

Tartan Day originated in Canada in the mid-1980s. It spread to other communities of the Scottish diaspora in the 1990s.

Go to https://www.facebook.com/terryrunyancreative for more cat art!
*groan*
💔Puppy in a kilt!💖
Today, I am BEYOND grateful to my bestest friend JB, who years ago suggested that I might like to read a newly published book: "Outlander".

Believe it or not, I ignored her advice, until thirty years later, in Autumn, 2021, I happened across the audiobook on my library phone app, and decided to give it a try.

I am now an official Outlander fangirl, having read the entire book series twice, AND watched the TV show on DVD from...wait for it...the library.

Therefore, one more tartan photo:

Actor Sam Heughan, portraying the hero of the Outlander stories, Jamie Fraser.
The tartan worn here was created by historians and costumers, using 1700's technology and dyes, for the most accurate re-creation of clothing at that time.
The actor makes it all look SMASHING!😽
Let's Hop!

Click on the badge above to visit Brian's Home Blog!

13 comments:

  1. Tartan Day is a pawsome way to celebrate the Scots. Mum's Mum was from Scotland.
    She was a war bride :)
    Purrs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, we should-a known, mine Mommy's "Mom" was (she's an angel now) Canadian, they were all of the MacMillan clan, once she looked up and saved photos of their tartan; most stayed in the PEI area, though some went West to Saskatchewan. [and we loved OUTLANDER]

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom's side of the family is Scottish and there is nothing better than a man in a kilt! I was late to Outlander as well but did read most of the series before the show came out - definitely a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That little dog in a kilt is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea there was such a thing as Tartan Day and I'm Scots lol

    Learn something new everyday xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. They were way ahead of their time, lots of men wear skirts today. Happy Tartan Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, I forgot to say thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I love the outlander too! One of my fav series --when will she come out with the next book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here is a fuuny...form real life, its true...

    My Father in law did not like the fact that he was Danish-German on account of the war years, so he decided to be Scottish! Yes he did, and he had/raised Scottie dogs, likely to prove himself Scottish, LOL!!!

    I am a Canadian, but somehow I never heard of this day...I started to live in Michigan in the mid 1980's...
    Our high school colors were red, back and orange, and they made a tartan to go with those colors, I still have my kilt. It was our uniform.
    I also have some of the 'Canadian' tartan items, in the Maple Leaf tartan.

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....