22 September, 2015

"I'll build a stairway to Paradise, with a new step every day...!"


The 'O' Cats Stairway

Okay folks...it's ready!  The hubby, with very little assistance from me, measured and sawed, screwed and swore, and now I have what I have wanted for years!

My Cat Stairway!

Now...how the heck am I going to convince Patty and Sweetie to climb up to the second floor? Suggestions are welcome!

Step #1: Milk crate
Step #2: Shelf
Step #3: Wall Shelf
Step #4: Higher Wall Shelf
Step #5: Ramp
Step #6: Go up through hole!
Step #7: Walk through cat flap

Step #1: Milk Crate
Step #2: Shelf
Step #3: Wall Shelf
Step #4: Higher Wall Shelf

Step #5: Ramp

Cat Flap, from interior

Hole in balcony, for cat egress

Look down ramp from hole in balcony


So far, using kibble only, I've encouraged Patty O'Malley to Step #4. Sweetie has gone as far as Step #2.  If Patty has already jumped up to Step #2 or #3, Sweetie won't leave the deck at all.  So, we have a long way to go.  Almost every night, I turn on the outside light, step out on the balcony, and call to the cats.  Patty often jumps onto the feeding station, in his attempt to get closer to me.  Then, I go back inside, walk through the house and out the front door, to appear on the deck.  I coax Patty and Sweetie using kibble to jump up.  I cannot seem to show them the connection between the balcony and food...yet.  I may have to devise some kind of bowl on a string, and slide it up and down the ramp, to get them interested.  I feel that if I can get a cat on the ramp and moving upward, then I'm golden!  Again, any suggestions...?!?

Once they've navigated the stairway, and gone through the cat flap, the one-time kitchenette will become their sanctuary.  It will be closed off from the rest of the house, so inside and outside cats will ne'er meet.

P.S. Please excuse how messy things look.  The hubby made the stairs using found items around his workshop.  He does not believe I can coax the 'O' cats up the stairs, but is willing to let me try whatever I want to...because he knows I won't stop...never...until I've achieved my goal: Patty and Sweetie inside.  WHEN they are comfortable coming in and out, then we'll spruce everything up with paint and other niceties.





7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, it looks incredible! I love it! You are so sweet and kind to Patty and Sweetie...they are very lucky to have you. Maybe try to attract them with food with stronger smell? Warmed canned kitty food, dip kibble in tuna water, etc. I hope they eventually take all the steps and find their new sanctuary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. guys....yur mom & dad ROCK !!!!!! how.....kewl.....iz....thiz !!!!!!

    we loves it....

    may bee try cat nip....if they haza toy... ore blanket with ther scent all reddy on it...purr haps put it on de levelz in stages; like for a week...all sew chex out

    http://timmytomcat.blogspot.com/

    pops built de crew ....shelves; he may haz sum suggestions ore tips az ta how long it took everee one ta use em !!

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it is possible, (for you), I would try a small toy on the end of a long string, running down the length of the ramp. Patty's curiosity might prompt him to follow it up the ramp - EVENTUALLY! How long have you had it installed? I would expect it might take them some time to get used to it being there, and then to explore upwards. I think Phil at Fourwhitepaws has inspired you! You are both outstanding and CREATIVE feral cat protectors!! I just had another idea: If it's possible, you might want to "pave" the ramp with carpet scraps. It might give them a better grip, and also encourage them to use it as a scratching post, thus getting their scent on the carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the coolest thing we've ever seen! We think in time Patty and Sweetie will figure it out. Maybe rattle some kibble in a bowl on the balcony and then just leave it? We like Ann B.'s suggestions too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is a great idea and I pray it works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would leaving a trail of noms on the ramp work?

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....