15 September, 2018

Hemingway Home Cats Calendar

A little over a year ago, Hurricane Irma hit the Florida Keys; a category 5 storm.  There was much reported about the Hemingway Home Museum, located on Key West, and the family of cats that live on the property.  The story is that these cats are mostly direct descendents of polydactyl cat(s) that Ernest Hemingway, the famous author, owned while he was in residence there.

Luckily, the cats survived, the home survived, and the volunteers who sheltered themselves there in the storm were fine!  I, being fascinated, clicked 'like' on the museum Facebook page, and have enjoyed updates from time to time.  The Hubby and I vacationed in the Florida Keys two or three times over the years...when I could get him to vacation rather than staycation...but we never visited The Hemingway Home Museum.  On my bucket list?  Oh yeah!

A week ago, there was a post about a 2019 Calendar of Hemingway Home cats!  I ordered one immediately, since they warned that they sell out quickly.

I pine for a mitten-foot kitty...or two.  Too bad Petfinder.com doesn't have a section for extra toes; I swear that they used to.  There is something about those big feet...

Here are some of the adorable images!








Disclaimer:  Again, I am not advertising anything; this product was purchased by me, for my own use.  If you all decide to spend your money at the website, then that's terrific, but I don't get a kickback or anything.  I just like Key West, and cats!  And I'm pretty sure that I've never read a book written by Ernest Hemingway, although I have watched "The Old Man and The Sea" film, with Spencer Tracy, made in 1958.  There is a placard on a tree on Duval Street (main street for Key West) that says, "Ernest Hemingway pissed here", which shows just how irreverent the city's people are!

13 comments:

  1. This is a great calendar. We remember the Hem. cats from last year - we were worried but apparently they have an indestructible house. Mom wishes she had one of those instead of a basic wood frame duplex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this wonderful post. We are going to pick a couple of these up for the office. From the photos they are really beautiful artwork. Have a great rest of your weekend.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this calendar. I would also love to visit that home museum too.

    Have a fabulous weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great calendar! The Human's friend in Sacramento found a stray "Hemingway" kitty and the Human and her friend drove up there to get her--her friend adopted the lost kitten. He already had a boy cat and girl cat, and the new girl-kitten totally lured away the boy cat from the already-resident girl cat. Our friend started calling the Hemingway kitty the "multi-toed Lolita" ha ha meow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That calendar sure is nice, we love those kitties and the Dad and Mom got to meet some of them years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love it! I have actually been to the house and was surrounded my those multi-toed cats--it was wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great calendar, I can see why it sells out so quickly. My Polar Bear is Polydactyl :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the cutest calendar! Love it. I remember being concerned about the cat sanctuary. Then being very relieved to hear all was well.
    Hope your felines are all doing OK!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lovethese. Jammies and the calendar. Mitten footed...what a great description

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty calendar! I remember worrying about the kitties when I heard they were going to ride out the hurricane. Visited the house twice in the past..lovely place with beautiful, laid-back kitties :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you said mitten we thought you meant mitted. MOL Good luck serchin' fur a paelly. Ya' might actually look fur a rescue that specializes in them. Big hugs

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mom didn't know about that museum and its cats, but she plans to be in Florida next year and hopes to include it as part of her trip plans. Winks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome looking calendar! I can see why you wanted it.

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....