19 October, 2019

Entomophagy


Okay, okay...run and hide if you want to!

Why not insects as cat food?
Protein!
A sustainable source!
Little to no harm to the environment!

Click here for more information: Conscientious Cat
Snack Katydid?

"Insect-based pet food is pet food consisting of, or containing insects digestible by pets such as dogs or cats. A limited, but growing number of products are available on the market, including cat food, dog food, and pet treats. The process of consuming insects by humans as well as animals is called entomophagy." Wikipedia
Read more:

www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/what-insect-based-pet-food

www.nanalyze.com/2019/03/insect-based-pet-food-animal-feed/

www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49450935

🐞🕷🐛🐜

13 comments:

  1. I don't think that would bug me too much MOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I.... Don't know how I feel about this. I can see the appeal for felines but not sure I could get past my own squick factor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! Sophie just plays with insects, but I never see her eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we haz a criket dat iz owt dere eatin momz bazil an mi katnip. mom iz relly madz at him

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I once ate a mosquito. It was pretty tasty. ~Ernie

    ReplyDelete
  6. We think it is a good idea but they would still figure out a way to make it wicked expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have no problem ONLY AFTER A LOT OF TESTING! Testing will need to be done before this is added as a protein source in cat foods especially. Right now, we know that cats need protein from meat, they can't metabolize protein from vegetable sources as dogs can, and it can't be entirely from supplements. And we've seen what happened to some species of dogs when grain-free requirements changed some of the other sources in their foods in relation to dilated cardiomyopathy. Time will tell. My cats consider all bugs fair game and a good snack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No thanks, I'll pass. Although picky as Mudpie is with her cat food I've witnessed her chow down on a bug or two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will definitely pass :) Although years ago, my hubby used to catch a moth and bring it in for Phoebe to chase and eat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always good information here ! Love My Eastside cats!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is the weirdest best idea, I never would have thought about it, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....