17 September, 2020

Amelia Peabody Books by Elizabeth Peters


Crocodile on the Sandbank(1975)

The Curse of the Pharaohs(1981)

The Mummy Case(1985)

Lion in the Valley(1986)

The Deeds of the Disturber(1988)

The Last Camel Died at Noon(1991)

The Snake, The Crocodile and the Dog(1992)

The Hippopotamus Pool(1996)

Seeing a Large Cat(1997)

The Ape Who Guards the Balance(1998)

The Falcon at the Portal(1999)

He Shall Thunder in the Sky(2000)

Lord of the Silent(2001)

The Golden One(2002)

Children of the Storm(2003)

Guardian of the Horizon(2003)

The Serpent on the Crown(2005)

Tomb of the Golden Bird(2006)

A River in the Sky(2010)

The Painted Queen(2017)


"The Amelia Peabody series is a collection of nineteen historical mystery novels, all engendered by Egyptologist Barbara Mertz under the pen name Elizabeth Peters. The series is centered on key figure and protagonist Amelia, for whom the series is named, and an a array of other characters to support her role. The novels entail a mix of romance, mystery, and tad of bit of satire to add to its well-balanced comic tone." so says website Book Series In Order.

What is not mentioned, is Bastet and Anubis, cats who guide their humans to solve the mystery!

I began this series in 2010, when a friend gifted me a copy of the first book, "Crocodile On The Sandbank".  I think that I read the entire series, book by book, after that.

I am thankful for that book!

During this pandemic lockdown, I've dipped my toe back into the waters of this delightful series...by audiobook this time...and just finished book 8, "The Hippopotamus Pool".

Although most of this series was written long ago, the storylines hold up well against the angst of today's news and morals; Amelia is a staunch believer that women can do anything that a man can do or better, and she is no shrinking violet!

It's her indomitable spirit, snide asides, and sometimes hilarious Victorian English upbringing that keeps me turning the pages...so to speak.

And...cats!  There are cats, and interestingly, the men in the stories seem to be even more cat people than is usual in books.

Jigsaw Puzzle

preview108pieceTiger Tabby

Let's Hop!

Click here to visit Brian's Home Blog!


14 comments:

  1. Elizabeth picks wonderful and intriguing titles for her books. I must admit to being one drawn to a book by its over and title...both of her are wonderful
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at cat guides. I would love these books too.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. We never heard of those but they do sound pretty darn interesting. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Amelia Peabody - read each and every one of these books - thanks for the reminder I think it's time to start over and read them again! I love the audio book versions, the reader nails Amelia's voice in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a long list but will add these and you never know when you run short of needing a read. We read your kind comment about Curly today. We found him and Mom Fanny along with three kittens when I got in my car. I had parked in the drive instead of the carport for some reason and as I got in thought: "Who threw litter back by the shed?" Of course as I watched the "litter" popped up and down. Kittens! Two I thought and then finally the very shy little girl appeared. Never far from Mom she was trapped last and only after a few days when hunger drover her out. Of course she was the wildest one and I worried she would injure herself but she calmed in a bit. All TNR'd. Kittens adopted and the adults attempted to socialize but they went back out. Yes providence does seem to guide these meetings of happenstance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like I'll have to look these up. I love a good story with historical or scientific information as part of the plot, all the better when it's a mystery, with a cat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those sounds interesting. I mainly read non-fiction, but I have been slowly getting into some fiction- as long as cats are in it. :) Thanks for the puzzle. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im going to send my pal Mike over to the puzzles . He needs them right now! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for letting us know. We are always looking for a good cat book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am thankful you told me about this series! I'm ALWAYS looking for something immersive and as it takes at least an hour to get anywhere for her, good audio boos are always appreciated!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a long-lived series of books: the first was written more than forty years before the latest...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like an interesting series. I'm going to put it on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....