24 October, 2023

Bat Butts

Bat Week is an international celebration of the role of bats in nature.

24/10 to 31/10

Terry Runyan

I think bats are adorable!

Humans need bats. 

Fun Bat Facts:
-Bats come in all shapes and sizes, from the tiny, adorable bumblebee bat that weighs less than a penny to the big, beautiful flying foxes that can have a wingspan of up to six feet.

-Bats are the only mammal that can truly fly (although some other mammals “glide”). A bat’s wing is actually a modified hand—similar to yours.

-Contrary to popular belief, bats actually have good eyesight (similar to that of humans), but for most species, their main technique for navigating or locating prey is using echolocation (not all species echolocate): emitting very high- pitched sounds that bounce off obstacles in their path, like trees, other bats, buildings, and food. main target—delicious insects. Not all bats that echolocate are insectivores!

-Bats eat lots of different things. Although almost 70% of bat species feed primarily on insects, some bats are carnivorous, eating meat like rodents, frogs, and fish. Only three species of bats feed on animal blood, with two of these species specializing on bird blood. Many other bats eat pollen, nectar or fruit—these bats are vital for pollinating flowers and spreading seeds that grow new plants and trees.

13 comments:

  1. Bats get such a bad rap for spreading rabies. I don't think my cats would approve, but I've wanted a pet bat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bats are really cool and Momma Kat is right, they do get a bad rap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have quite a lot of bats around our garden and in summer, you can see/hear them in the evenings. They eat lots of mozzies and we love them!

    Purrs,
    The Chans

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bats. They do great work. I never mess with bats.

    Have a fabulous day, my friend. Scritches to the kitties. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness; I really want to pinch those butt cheeks. I put a bat house outside many years ago but don't think anyone moved in, sad to say. They are super cool creatures. Be well, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a bat house here but no one moved it here either. Had a bee home and no one got into that either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like bats. I have quite a few stuffed ones for Halloween. And cut outs of them stuck on walls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bats are amazing and fabulous! We have a bat house at the local zoo, and I spend at least an hour there watching them every single time I go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure they do a lot of useful things but they gave me the willies

    ReplyDelete
  10. There have been some rabid bats in our area in recent years, not sure about this year. But I love how the bats in our locale help us by eating all those pesky mosquitoes.
    I had a bat in one of my apartments once...and we had them our church, (An ancient building with apparently an broken window near the steeple...Bats thought it was good to find a new place to roost!), and we had then in our current house, too, last year there were two of them in our cellar...I think they were as scared of me as I was startled by their presence there!
    Years ago we had one on our main floor, and our then kitty, Groucho was freaking out, because he wasn't able to stalk and catch it, LOL!! We opened a window and let it escape...not sure how the two in our cellar got out, but have not seen any further evidence of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bats are so awesome. We love when we see them flying around outside of our house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bats are wonderful, though I have a feeling I am much more likely to be struck - accidentally, of course - by the one with the six-foot wingspan than the bumblebee bat... And I'll bet the bat who was used to model his bum was embarrassed...

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....