29 August, 2015

Happy Gotcha Day, Angel and Chuck!

As kittens, in 2004
Angel, today
Chucky, today

In 2004, The Hubby and I drove to pick up kittens.  We knew that my brother's co-worker's cat had a litter of four, and that we could pick two for ourselves, without an adoption fee.  All the equipment that we brought with us in that old Toyota Camry, was a cardboard box.  There were two all-black boys, and two 'cow-colored' girls.  We took one of each, and I sat in the back seat with the two kittens in the box on my lap while The Hubby drove home.  We even got lost, because he was too excited about the kittens to remember where to turn, and I was too excited to be paying attention.  Angel crawled from the box up the back of the driver's seat, and managed to get herself perched on his shoulder.  I held Chucky, noticing that even in his dark fur, there were crawly things.  Yes, they had fleas (gobs of fleas) and tapeworms too.  We bathed them in flea shampoo, and made an appointment for the veterinarian.  We had no idea what we were doing.  

Now, 11 years later, they are such a huge part of our lives, and have sent me on a new journey; helping cats, especially ferals.  I constantly read books, read articles, search the internet (and ask a bazillion questions from the vet!), to try to do the right thing for our four-footed, fur-covered friends.  

Happy Gotcha Day, Angel and Chuck!  

8 comments:

  1. Happy Gotcha Day! I think we all remember that journey of knowledge and gaining experience.... mine has definitely been a long one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Gotcha Day to 2 cuties! You sure got yourselves a great home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMC, what squeeworthy babies those two were! It's no wonder they're two of the cutest kids now! Happy gotcha day, Angel and Chuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have grown from cuties to beauties! Happy Gotcha Day, Angel and Chuck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww what sweeties! Happy Happy Gotcha Day and thank YOU for all that YOU do!
    xoxo
    catchatwithcarenandcody

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Gotcha Day!! Fun to hear the story of how you started down the kitty-path!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Gotcha Day, you two sweeties! We love to hear how kitties got their furever homes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Gotcha Day to Angel and Chuck! Their happy faces cheered me up. When I had kitties when I was young, I had no idea what I was doing, either. And I still struggle. I can fully relate that our fur babies send us on a new journey...thank you for helping feral kitties. I wish you all a wonderful day xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....