28 December, 2018

Movie Review: A Street Cat Named Bob

Official Sites: Official Facebook
Country: UK
Language: English
Release Date: 3 November 2016 UK
Filming Locations: London, England, UK and nearby locations

Image grabbed from the internet
When this movie was released in America, there were only a few places it was shown in Michigan, and they were all on the opposite side of the state from where I live.  Alas, I had to wait to watch this film, which is based on the popular book, "A Street Cat Named Bob" by James Bowen, with author Garry Jenkins.

This holiday season, I found the movie DVD at a local library, and watched it last night with Angel (who didn't appreciate hearing Bob's meows coming out of my laptop!)  Although the movie storyline is a tad bit changed from the book, I feel the changes were in the spirit of the story, and in no way changed my delight in watching the film!

Street Cat Bob, playing Bob The Street Cat

Actor Luke Treadaway plays James Bowen,
with Bob on his shoulder

Seriously, Bob is a handsome cat!

"James" and Bob
James is a drug addict, who plays his guitar on the street for money.  A ginger cat adopts James, who finds that the cat gives his life direction.  It was fun to see London locations that I had visited earlier this year, on my first-ever trip to the UK!  Especially Covent Garden and Trafalgar Square, this movie about hardship, love, and finding one's path is a fine story, expressed very well.  And Bob played himself in much of the movie, with some stand-in assistance by six other cats.  James Bowen, the book's author and Bob's guardian, appears near the end of the film, asking for a book signature.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun read.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love this movie. It is so cool that Bob plays himself, he is such a clever cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loved that Bob played himself. The mom will have to watch this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved all of the books and I was fortunate enough to see this movie in the theater. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob is a handsome boy and a natural at acting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We'll have to get our mom to check our local library for this. We don't mind hearing meows on TV or a video, but we all panic whenever there's a doorbell!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched this movie and enjoyed a lot. Bob is so cute! I didn’t know the author made an appearance :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My human was able to see this in a theater near us when it came out, and she really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Our pets can transform us. They are like little angels in our lives. zach's new kitten Bear is bringing him much joy. We are enjoying having him here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you liked it. I didn't know an actor played the protagonist. I thought it was more of a documentary than a re-enactment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen that movie too. It was nice, but you should read the book - it's better I think. I mean - the movie is bit changed, in the book you can see that James wasn't such a layman like in the movie - he knew a lot about cats.
    The book seems to be written by the kid - the style is bit childish, but I really recommend it anyway :)

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....