12 June, 2019

A Sammy Retrospective









Five years ago today, I helped Angel Sammy to The Rainbow Bridge.  It was a shock, since I'd trapped this friendly feral for a dental exam at the vet's office.  The vet said he was too sick, and his mouth was a mess.  Back then, I didn't have the gumption to push back at the vet, because I didn't know then that I could pill a feral, or that there were compounding meds to rub into an ear.

But, Sammy was ready to go.  He gave me a look, that said, "I'm tired.  Please let me go."  I cried, and cried, and sobbed, and so did the veterinarian.  Sammy was my first euthanization too, and I didn't have time to prepare...if there is such a thing.

Sammy had a wonderful meow, that was more like a bark..."ARF!", and I miss it.  Hard to believe this much time has elapsed.  His cremains are in a white urn, that sits on my dresser.  The top photo was the first one I'd taken of him ever, on April 17, 2010, so he was a part of The 'O' Cats for over four years.  As time went on, he became used to me, and I was able to pet him.  Hope you are resting in peace, Angel Sammy.  I love you.

πŸ’”πŸ˜ΏπŸ’”

23 comments:

  1. I know you sure miss that sweet guy and he did love your kindness and caring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big beautiful boy, run free sweet Sammy - you knew you were loved, didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard to let them go, but they do tell you when it's time. Our Little Bit did. Hardest thing ever, but hubby and I was there to the end, and it's been years now and I still cry and cry. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did the best you could at that time. Rest in peace, Sammy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sammy was a brave feral.....he could tell from afar that your kind vibes were for his good. It is so funny the things were remember about our Angels...that we didn't really take for granted when we had them, but they come back into our mind's eye on little soft kitty paws
    Every cat is lucky (inside or out) to be loved by you.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a wonderful thing, caring for him. Letting him go gently was also an act of love. Hugs to you today as you remember him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a nice tribute to a sweet kitty.
    He was lucky he chose your place.Purrs and hugs for you as you remember this sweet boy.
    Purrs Georgia,Julie and JJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely tribute to Angel Sammy. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  9. =^..^=

    sammy ; ewe waz loved; N we iz happee for ewe, N 984 paws up... ta mom... V ♥♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did what was right for Sammy at the time...he was lucky to have you caring for him. Sending you many purrs on this day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful tribute to your handsome boy. He knew he was loved. XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is such a beautiful memory--he was so distinguished looking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. He was precious, and I'm so glad you were there to care for him when he needed you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sammy's life was better because of you, and he found peace and kindness and compassion at the end instead of dying alone. He knew you loved him. The first cut is the deepest. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful tribute to Angel Sammy. He knew love till the end.

    ReplyDelete
  16. He knew who loved him right when he needed it. Even when they leave us, they never forget our kindness. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  17. And Sammy still remembers how you loved him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh Sammy. His mouth must have really been sore. Bless you !!!! Your kindness to zach this week was so appreciated. It is still raw and unreal. Our cats are such important beings

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh what a sweet handsome boy! I love all the pics of Angel Sammy! I would have loved to know him!
    {{{hugs}}}
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had tears reading this. We care so much for them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What beautiful photos of your angel Sammy. He was so lucky to have gotten much love and care from you. I'm sorry it was so sudden...but you did what was best for him. Sending hugs to you remembering your precious angel. xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing this grand Man Cat with us. Angel Sammy is now young and healthy playing in the green fields of the Bridge. He was so lucky to have love in his life and he will be there when the time to reunite comes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a handsome fella. Love that tiny blep. Thank you for caring for him.

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....