10 July, 2018

Garden Party

Garden Party

by Ricky Nelson
Released in 1972

Went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends
A chance to share old memories and play our songs again
When I got to the garden party, they all knew my name
No one recognized me, I didn't look the same

But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself

People came from miles around, everyone was there
Yoko brought her walrus, there was magic in the air
And over in the corner, much to my surprise
Mr. Hughes hid in Dylan's shoes wearing his disguise

But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself

Played them all the old songs, thought that's why they came
No one heard the music, we didn't look the same
I said hello to "Mary Lou", she belongs to me
When I sang a song about a honky-tonk, it was time to leave

But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself

Someone opened up a closet door and out stepped Johnny B. Goode
Playing guitar like a-ringin' a bell and lookin' like he should
If you gotta play at garden parties, I wish you a lotta luck
But if memories were all I sang, I rather drive a truck

And it's all right now, learned my lesson well
You see, ya can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself

Two metal garden cats
Purchased at a local art fair
"Ya can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself!"

19 comments:

  1. Those are pretty cute and the Dad always liked that tune!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mommie puts dose sunflower seeds in her oatmeal efurry mornin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the share. We just love the lyrics of that tune. The two metal garden cats are really nice, we are thinking of getting some for our garden around the office. Have a great day.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1972?? Geez, wasn't that just a few years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh I always loved that song....and Ricky Nelson and Ozzie and Harriet Oh yes...you gotta please yourself.
    Hugs Mom of Madi

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great art. And yeah.. people...

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason, the very end of Candide came into my head where he says, "cultivate your garden." Focus on yourself and don't sweat the rest! I love that quote about how if other people don't like you, it's none of your business :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We can see you pleased yourself. Those are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are SO cute! Nothing wrong with treating yourself to something special that makes you happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always loved that song and yep, "you can't please everyone so you gotta please yourself" one of my many mottos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are really cute. Thanks for the earworm. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your metal garden cats. They are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your kind words for the loss of Mamacita.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We luv your new garden kitties. Big hugs

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....