Saturday, September 07, 2024

To Buy, To Read, To Listen

September 6 was National Read a Book Day 📚

📚 September 7 is National Buy a Book Day

Don't you think that should be reversed?

Buy a book, and THEN read it..!?!

Unless you are like me (and in honor of September is National Library Card Sign-up Month), and borrow most of your reading material from the library, buying is a rather big deal.

I have stacks of books next to my bed...gathering dust...while I gleefully listen to audiobooks and ebooks downloaded to my phone, and at least once a month I check out a book at the library, then sit down and read it in one go without leaving the building. 

Which is why I hesitate to purchase another book; seems wasteful to buy them, then let them sit.

My sister tells me that I need to support authors and bookstores and BUY MORE BOOKS!

I've just purchased an audiobook; does that count, sis?

Audiobook I am currently listening to:

-Secrets of the Lost Ledgers by C. J. Archer: Book #5 in the Glass Library Series

Next audiobooks queued:

-What Time the Sexton's Spade Doth Rust by Alan Bradley: Book #11 in the Flavia de Luce Series
-A Swarm of Butterflies by Sarah Yarwood-Lovett: Book #6 in the Dr. Nell Ward Mysteries
-Vows & Ruins by Helen Scheuerer: Book #2 in the Legends of Thezmarr Series
-Viciously Yours by Jamie Applegate Hunter: Book #1 in the Fae Kings of Eden Series

Actual books that I have that I REALLY REALLY want to read, when I get time:

-Inductions Dangerous by John Bellen (I Have Three Cats Blog)
-Hidden in Blood, Place of Temptation, and Lake of Tears by Bilinda P. Sheehan, Books #5, 6, 7 in Hariet Quinn Series
...and many more!

For a bookish Caturday, here is Celestial Sweetie, with my stack of to-be-read books in the background.

Click on the image to enjoy a jigsaw puzzle.
Let's Hop!
Click on the badge to visit Athena Cat Goddess.

29 comments:

  1. I am more traditional and prefer a book to read. When I go to chemotherapy they have a small bookshelf but not many books. I suspect people start reading them and take them home to finish and forget to return them. I buy mostly paperbacks now as hardcovers have got so expensive. When I go every Thursday I take 3 or 4 with me that I know I won't read again and put them on the waiting room bookshelf. It gives me more room on my shelves at home too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely thing; donating so others can enjoy! And hardcovers are heavier too; a good old paperback is much lighter.

      Delete
  2. Sweetie was doing a great job showing off your books. I used to buy books and then we would have to take them to Half Price Store and sell. Now I just go to the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The library is the bestest place in the world! Except when they don't have the book that I want, but there is the whole state of Michigan who will ship it to me.

      Delete
  3. Dearest Vicky,
    Oh my, guess Sweetie fully understood your love of reading but lack of time often. Sweet photo!
    Well, I'm praying hard that I will live long enough for reading my books. LOVE to read and there is nothing that calms one down more than reading. You get transitioned in thoughts... That is good and far better than any TV or whatever propaganda machine.
    Hugs,
    Mariette + Kitties

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pic of Sweetie. Mum likes to read ebooks now because she hates books gathering dust on bookshelves. She's given most away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Athena, I am beginning to go down that road too; am donating to charity or the library, except for that dusty stack (or four) on my bedside table.

      Delete
  5. I wish I could read more but I just fall asleep when I try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may enjoy audiobooks; it's like listening to the radio.

      Delete
  6. Yes, you should buy a book first, unless you steal one, read it, then feel guilty and go back to pay for it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were ever to do such a thing, I'd just keep my booty and never breathe a word of it.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photo of Sweetie. I get most books from the library, but I do buy a lot for gifts. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny story: a co-worker gifted me a Barnes&Noble gift card, and I purchased greeting cards, not books!

      Delete
  8. Once I discovered I could borrow books from the local library, I stopped buying books. Though my TBR list is getting longer and longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My TBR list grows every day, and the worst is when I visit a bookstore or library (I go to any library!) and add more as I walk the stacks.

      Delete
  9. We love going to the library and checking books out, too! I do buy them on my kindle, too, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love looking at the 'new' book section, and saying, "Read that! Read that one too!" And then there is always, "OOH! This is going on my TBR list!"

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Ruby, c'mon close, I've got to whisper something to you...*when I open a book, that's when The Hubby decides that I need to know everything about college football*

      Delete
  11. Funny- dad was once addicted to buying books and had hundreds on his "To Be Read" shelves until mom trained him to frequent the library. Years ago, he worked in the student center at Keene State Colllege, and every day he'd clock out and run over the the campus book store to paw through the discount table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smudge, I did the same thing; bought used books like crazy, until the light dawned, and the library became my favorite hangout. And I donated most (not all, don't be silly!) to local libraries.

      Delete
  12. I can't imagine not reading. I love to read...always have done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Am pretty sure it's why I earned a BA in History; you must read for your classes! Plus, I love to research.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a lovely picture of Angel Sweetie✨Granny likes to read a lot too, but we hardly give her time for it😸😸Double Pawkisses for a Happy Day🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dates are rather backward. lol Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your angel is beautiful.

    Since you have to buy audiobooks, it does support the authors, I believe.

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....